Spring 2012

Saturday, December 31, 2011

Happy Birthday, Shaw!

At 12 months Shaw is a happy-go-lucky, resilient little fella. He smiles and laughs with ease. He loves people, watching faces and studying expressions. Shaw is an extrovert.

Shaw Bubba's favorite things to eat are peaches, cheese, applesauce and any kind of bread or bagel. If I put something on his plate that he doesn't care for he gives me a funny look and shakes his head as if to say, "Why would I eat that, you silly Mama?"

Shaw is methodical about his play and often has a plan. He likes to make a pile of blocks and move them one by one to a new location and do it all again. One afternoon in November I watched him transport one block at a time from one end of the kitchen to the other. He stacked each block on the lowest step of our step stool. Then he knocked each one to the floor and transported them to a child-size chair. And all of this was done with his little one-armed Army crawl. He's quite determined.

Shaw knows when he's doing something I don't want him to do -- and he laughs! When I call him to come back he looks back and giggles. When I start to walk after him he goes even faster, laughing the whole way. His laugh is infectious and makes me laugh, too.

He has a few words (Dada, more, truck) but his understanding is far greater than his vocabulary. He knows to wave when someone is going bye-bye and he helps to clean up when I tell him to put an object "in." He loves to swim in the bath and goes right into the crib and lays down to sleep at nap and bedtime.

Shaw is a big personality in our house. I can't wait to get to know more about him this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment